Lead Partner: Tomintoul and Glenlivet Wildlife Group (TGWG)
What is the project?
To establish a community led wildlife group that will raise awareness and understanding of local natural heritage, increase community involvement in protecting and enhancing the wildlife around Tomintoul and Glenlivet and help the community make the most from local natural assets.
The wildlife group will operate a flexible and swift grant scheme for the community to apply to that will deliver biodiversity and natural asset projects.
What will the project achieve?
- Community talks/guided walks that will help towards collecting biological records and improving participants’ identification skills.
- Delivery of a range of biodiversity projects through the Wildlife Grant Scheme.
What has been done so far?
- Formation of a constituted Tomintoul and Glenlivet Wildlife Group, with a logo designed by local school children.
- TGWG Facebook page.
- A series of guided walks and activities including flora identification day, dawn chorus walks, big bird box bash, A’nside flora presentation and salmon spawning walk.
- Approval of almost £15k of wildlife grants to support local biodiversity projects that will involve tree and hedgerow planting, erection of owl boxes, feeding stations for birds and red squirrels and planting insect friendly flowers.