Skip to main content
Submit Listing

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Youtube Icon

Listings

  1. See & Do
  2. »
  3. History & Heritage
  4. » Blairfindy Castle

Blairfindy Castle

2017 Blairfindy Castle_TGLP Copyright (18)
2018 Blairfindy Castle_TGLP Copyright (21)
CNPA Rupert Shanks - Blairfindy Castle 014
CNPA Rupert Shanks - Blairfindy Castle 022
Address:
Castleton of Blairfindy, Glenlivet, Ballindalloch, UK
Description:

The 16th century ruin of Blairfindy Castle is found at Castletown, half a mile from The Glenlivet Distillery. Although currently in a ruined state and not safe for the public to visit, this Scheduled Ancient Monument will soon be accessible to visitors following a major project to conserve and stabilise the structure and allow safe access in and around the castle.

The castle was built in 1564 as a fortified tower house by John Gordon of the Huntly family, then used as hunting seat after it passed to the Earls of Huntly in 1586. Following the Battle of Culloden ion 1746, it was burned down by government troops and has remained ruined and unoccupied since then.

The project to stabilise Blairfindy Castle is taking place from March to October 2019, so please note that there will be no access to the castle during this time. The work is being funded through the Tomintoul & Glenlivet Landscape Partnership, a programme supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. A new path linking The Glenlivet Distillery with the castle is also being constructed that will allow visitors to easily access the castle from the distillery carpark.

 

 

Additional Information:

During March to October 2019 there is no access to castle while conservation works are taking place.

Address:
Castleton of Blairfindy, Glenlivet, Ballindalloch, UK
Description:

The 16th century ruin of Blairfindy Castle is found at Castletown, half a mile from The Glenlivet Distillery. Although currently in a ruined state and not safe for the public to visit, this Scheduled Ancient Monument will soon be accessible to visitors following a major project to conserve and stabilise the structure and allow safe access in and around the castle.

The castle was built in 1564 as a fortified tower house by John Gordon of the Huntly family, then used as hunting seat after it passed to the Earls of Huntly in 1586. Following the Battle of Culloden ion 1746, it was burned down by government troops and has remained ruined and unoccupied since then.

The project to stabilise Blairfindy Castle is taking place from March to October 2019, so please note that there will be no access to the castle during this time. The work is being funded through the Tomintoul & Glenlivet Landscape Partnership, a programme supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund. A new path linking The Glenlivet Distillery with the castle is also being constructed that will allow visitors to easily access the castle from the distillery carpark.

 

 

Additional Information:

During March to October 2019 there is no access to castle while conservation works are taking place.

 

Facebook icon Twitter icon Instagram icon Youtube Icon