Project Lead: Crown Estate Scotland (CES)
What is the project?
The project aims to strategically review the nature, extent and spatial arrangement of commercial conifer plantations and other woodlands across the partnership area, with the aim of enhancing the landscape character of the area.
What will the project achieve?
- To prepare a long term master plan, based on realistic opportunities to restructure, expand and enhance woodland distribution in a way that mitigates adverse landscape impacts, enhances social, environmental and landscape benefits and optimises business benefits for farm and sporting enterprises.
- Prepare an environmental impact assessment (EIA) on the long term plan to identify and mitigate any potential conflicts.
- To consult and engage relevant stakeholders in the preparation of the plan, reach agreement on the restructuring / enhancement proposals. This will include discussions with tenant farmers, land managers, communities and Forestry Commission Scotland.
- To carry out a pilot/demonstration project of restructuring/improving a conifer plantation that has a significant detrimental visual effect on the landscape – as identified from the feasibility study work carried out in the development phase. NB This is subject to sourcing additional match funding, otherwise a smaller scaled down restructuring pilot will take place.
What has been done so far?
- This project is due to commence in summer 2018.